Several months after an SAP implementation, this client noticed a significant increase in their shipping bills. The cause was a wrong entry into one field. The users had been selecting an option that resembled the option that they had used in the legacy system. Rather than billing the recipient, the shipping charges were billed to the client account. The users complained that the documentation was bulky, difficult to use, and confusing.
The client brought me in to fix their procedure documentation. This is an example of what I did. Although it looks quite similar, the rewrite:
- Reduces the number of pages
- Explains when to use the transaction
- Specifies an explicit field value when appropriate
- Indicates required fields
- Makes it easy for users to enter the right information